Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective


Presenting one of the best games ever to grace the DS, is Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective!

Alright, so the main reason I bought this was because it was made by the team who created Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and of course, their brilliance shone through this fantastic creation. You may think I'm over reacting, but I'm not. I went through a week of sleepless nights just wanting to finish this game and wanting to bring it school to secretly play it under my desk just to know how the mystery ends. This game truly had me at the edge of my seat while I watched everything piece together like a puzzle - a very intricate puzzle.

Alright so game play, it's pretty interesting really. You're able to manipulate different inanimate objects, benefiting from their different uses to your advantage in each situation. In each situation is a new location and a bunch of convenient objects placed in rather convenient locations, but I won't dwell on the matter. Why? Cause it doesn't ruin ANYTHING. It doesn't matter if they're way to convenient for their own good, just take advantage of it, cause I did. Any who, manipulating is all you got in your arsenal of your tricks and you have to think outside of the box (Phoenix Wright reference, anyone?).

You start out as a ghost, completely and utterly confused and drowned in your own monologue. You have no idea what your name is, who you are, or why you're dead. So far in, you're practically a blank piece of paper waiting to be written on to gather information. Luckily, you have someone to help you...a lamp. A very happy lamp. That likes to dance. No I'm not kidding, but lamp will be your guiding light in a sense... there's a name far more clever than mine, so just wait till you play it.

The characters are as colorful as ever, produced by the brilliant team, and the challenges of using the manipulation powers to its fullest is pretty difficult. However, that could be because I'm not the greatest at puzzling situations; it's practically a mystery as to how I even finished the Ace Attorney series, let alone this game without Gamefaqs. I will admit, however, that I did have some help, but it was one for one case.

There's also the challenges, that I have said earlier. To every challenge is a death, no surprise there coming from a team who dealt with murder cases, and to every death is the event that happened to the victim. So with every prior event is the four minutes you're able to change it! Yes, you the player, are able to save the person's life! Four minutes before the death by interfering with the timeline and being able to change the course of the future! Oh by the way, you're timed four minutes, and every time you change someone's fate then you get more time in the hourglass (your timer)!

I'd tell you more, but then I wouldn't want to spoil anything from this wonderful piece mystery and art.

Have fun saving lives in the game!

Those manipulation powers you have there are called "Ghost Tricks" by the way~.

Rating: I'm sure a game as spectacular as this doesn't need one >>. 9.5 out of 10.
The music is great and fitting.
The animation don't have outlines so it kinda tipped me off at first, but they were flexible so I liked them.
The scenery was realistic as it should be.
The movements were very fluent.

So a 9.5 out of 10. Or a 9.0 out 10. Would be good. I'm trying not to let my opinions get the best of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment